This Moroccan chickpea soup is something different with a twist of the exotic to turn a classic soup dish on its head. A mix of bold flavours that'll keep your insides nice and warm, and your taste buds wanting more.
Celery is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals such as vitamin K, vitamin C, potassium, folate and vitamin B6. Chickpeas and broad beans are a great vegetarian sources of protein and fibre - a winning combination for weight loss. Tomatoes have outstanding antioxidant content and are touted to offer a wide range of health benefits.
- Preparation: 5 minutes
- Cooking: 20 minutes
- Ingredients / Serves 2:
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 0.5 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 350ml vegetable stock
- 200g tinned tomatoes
- 200g tinned chickpeas
- 75g frozen broad beans
- 0.5 lemon - zest and juice
- Handful of coriander
- Sprinkle of black pepper
- Flatbread to serve (optional)
- Step 1: Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan, caramelise the onion and celery gently for 10 minutes stirring frequently until they have softened. Add the cumin and fry for another minute.
- Step 2: Turn up the heat, add the vegetable stock, chopped tomatoes and chickpeas, season with some ground black pepper.
- Step 3: Simmer for 8 minutes. Throw in the broad beans and lemon juice, cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Step 4: Season to taste, then top with the lemon zest and chopped coriander or parsley.
- Step 5: Serve with flatbread and enjoy this warming treat.