Ah, the classic ab finisher. It’s a bit like marmite. Some people love it – ending the workout on a high, setting yourself up for that satisfying ache. On the other hand, some people hate it, and often opt to skip out in favour of getting out of the gym 15 minutes earlier, or maybe a slightly different warm down.
Personally, we’re big fans. And we’re here to both up your ab finisher routine or try and persuade you to integrate this strategy into your routine. Now, the reasoning that will apply to you will depend on which camp you’re in, but either way, hear us out. We’re sure you’re going to become a fan.
What is an ab finisher?
An ab finisher is pretty simple: its an exercise that is designed to be the final touch to your routine, targeting your abdominal muscles specifically.
Why, you ask?
Well, an ab finisher burns lower belly fat and builds a strong core, which hits two key fitness goals that are held by a lot of people. What better way to finish a workout than that?
The benefits of adding an ad finisher to your workout
Whether you’re dreaming of washboard abs or just want to tone up a bit, a ton of health benefits come with adding ab finishers.
Some of our favourite benefits of lower stomach exercises include:
- Increases balance
- Reduce back aches and pains
- Improves your posture
- Improves your core
- Controls inflammation
Our three favourite ab finishers
It’s true what they say, everyone has abs. You just might have to work for them. Whether you’re a gym bunny or just starting out, these exercises are perfect for pretty much everyone.
- The classic plank
Whilst there are a ton of variations of the classic plank, if you want to go for the standard go-to plank, here’s what you need to do to target that lower stomach area…
- Start in the kneeling position on the floor
- Plant your hands firmly on the floor, with your hands shoulder width apart
- Stretch your legs out behind you and place your toes on the floor
- Look directly down on the floor and squeeze your core
- Hold for thirty seconds and relax
- Repeat for the desired number of sets
- The heel touch
The heel touch is a great addition to your ab finisher as you get to lie down… winning!
Head on over to the mats or grab a yoga mat in a nice, open space.
- Lie face up on the mat with your arms stretched our either side of you, and your knees bent to a 90-degree angle
- Make sure your feet are placed firmly on the ground
- With your arms out to the side, take it in turns and reach down to your heel with your finger tips
- Complete 5 times on each side
- Rest and repeat
- The bicycle crunch
Again, super simple, super easy and super effective. No equipment needed, so whether you’re looking for suitable ab finishers for the gym or for home, the bicycle crunch is one of the most effective lower stomach exercises to complete whenever and wherever!
- Again, head over to the mats or lay down your yoga mat (or towel, if you don’t have a mat!)
- Lie down on your back and bend your knees, again to a 90-degree angle
- Place your feet, hip-width apart and firmly on the floor
- Squeeze in your core and lift your knees in the air, raising your upper body, too
- Move your right elbow towards your left knee, and vice versa
- Now you should be completing a classic ‘bicycle’ motion
- Continue for 30 seconds, rest and repeat
When completing these ab finisher exercises, make sure to rest, and breathe throughout. Don’t forget to squeeze and engage your core at all times for maximum impact!