WHY IT MATTERS
Aromatherapy has the potential to benefit you both mentally and physically.
The use of essential oils to enhance our wellbeing is on the increase. But how do they work and how do you use them safely? The aromatherapy experts at Tisserand reveal all...
What is aromatherapy?
- Aromatherapy is a natural holistic therapy that harnesses the fragrance and therapeutic properties of pure essential oils.
- Aromatherapy is the application of these oils in massage, inhalation or in cosmetic preparations to benefit health and wellbeing.
As aromatherapists, Tisserand sees clients who are interested in managing their stress levels as well as clients who come for more physical needs. But the body will always respond with an emotional consequence of any physical manifestation and vice versa. Aromatherapy is able to help with both.
What are essential oils?
Essential oils are extracted from a single botanical source from across the globe, and when blended together can create aromas that can uplift, sedate, calm, soothe or invigorate, dependent on what you choose. Simply by inhaling an essential oil you are having a direct effect on your emotional health; the part of the brain that processes smell is directly linked to our memories and emotions. You can also apply a blend to the body, for example to ease sore muscles after a workout, giving you a more physical effect.
- Each essential oil has its own unique property that can alter your emotional or physical state. Essential oils are composed of hundreds of different components, each one giving the essential oil a therapeutic quality.
- Choosing the blend to suit your needs, and picking an aroma you love, will have a positive effect on the mind and body. The best way to smell an essential oil is to close your eyes and inhale slowly from the lid; straight from the bottle can be too overpowering. By closing your eyes, you will be reducing your sensory load, resulting in an enhanced sense of smell!
- Essential oils can help you sleep, which is vital for your wellbeing. Check out Tisserand's Sleep Better range for a restful slumber. Jasmine and sandalwood will relax and calm you, whilst lavender has been shown to dramatically improve sleep patterns. Spray your pillow with the pillow mist just before turning out your light, lie back, inhale the aroma and drift off…
- Essential oils have also been shown to have a clarifying effect on the mind. When you need to concentrate, why not use Tisserand's Mind Clear Diffuser Oil on your desk whilst at work or studying. The combination of peppermint, lavender and lemon allows you to declutter your mind and find clarity.
- You can also enjoy the benefits of aromatherapy on the go. Using Tisserand's Roller Balls is an easy and effective way to get your fix of essential oils whilst out and about. The Total De-stress Roller Ball is one of our favourites, combining geranium, orange and nutmeg to help you slow down and find calm. The roller balls are ideal to carry around, discreet, and easily applied at any time.
Using Essential Oils Safely
- Do not use essential oils neat on the skin, always use a pre-blended product. If you are creating a home blend, mix your essential oils into a ‘blending oil’
- Never ingest essential oils, they can damage the delicate lining of your digestive system
- Keep essential oils away from children.
- Keep your essential oils in a cool dark place and use within one year of opening.
- If in any doubt about using essential oils, seek the advice of a professional aromatherapist.
Start your aromatic journey with a few pre-blended products or individual essential oils. You will quickly discover which aromas speak to you personally; smell is very individual. Above all, enjoy discovering the power and efficacy of these wonderful fragrant oils that nature has provided for us to explore and utilise to support your wellbeing!