Spaghetti bolognese reminds us of growing up but it's a treat that vegans can't enjoy... until now that is. Here's our version of spaghetti bolognese... vegan style (courtesy of Luci Rebecca). Instead of mince, this dish contains mushrooms and lentils.
Preparation: 5 minutes
Cooking: 40 minutes
Ingredients / Serves 4:
- 35g onions, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped/minced
- 100g dry green lentils, rinsed
- 500g passata + 1 cup water
- 200g mushrooms, chopped into thick slices
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 75g savoury soya mince, mixed with 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 40g sundried tomatoes, diced
- salt and pepper
- dried spaghetti
- fresh basil, chopped
- grated cheese
- Step 1: Add the diced onion and chopped garlic to a saucepan with some water and cook until the onion is translucent, about 10 minutes. Add more water if the pan gets too dry (or cook with oil if that's your preference).
- Step 2: Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan and give a good stir. Bring to a simmer and cook until the lentils are cooked - about 30 minutes.
- Step 3: During this time, cook your spaghetti according to packet instructions and drain - typically it takes no longer than 10 minutes, so start about 20 minutes into the simmer.
- Step 4: Drain the spaghetti and divide between four bowls, then top each with a portion of the bolognese.
- Step 5: Optional but delicious - sprinkle with vegan cheese and chopped fresh basil.
This dish was prepared for Innermost by Luci Rebecca who's a vegan food fanatic currently living near Manchester with her devoted husband and two adopted pet rabbits, Kristofferson Rabbit and Hermione Bunny. To see more of her amazing recipes, visit her website (www.madebyluci.co.uk).