It’s cold and the person sat next to you on the train was coughing like an extra out of The Walking Dead. Time to get some soup in your system. We don’t mean the stuff out of a can; that’s just expensive salt water. This immunity-boosting soup is loaded with protein, garlic and ginger. The next time someone coughs in your face, you’ll be ready.
Garlic and ginger are known to reduce muscle soreness and can help ward off colds. Chillies contain capsaicin, which gives them their spicy flavour. Early studies suggest that capsaicin has anti-bacterial and anti-diabetic properties and can reduce LDL cholesterol levels.
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 40 minutes
Ingredients / Serves 2:
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup mixed mushrooms
- 2 dried chilies
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 0.5 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 0.5 tbsp Chinese cooking wine (or rice vinegar)
- 0.5 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 3-star anise
- 2 chicken beasts, sliced
- 1 tbsp The Health Protein
1 cup carrots cut into long thin strips and blanched 1 cup snow peas cut into long thin strips and blanched 1 cup green cabbage cut into long thin strips and blanched 2 cups bok choy, lightly sautéed with canola oil 1 cup bean sprouts Fresh spring onions and a wedge of lime for finishing
- Step 1: Bring vegetable broth and mushrooms to a boil, lower to a simmer and add chicken, chilies, ginger, garlic, The Health Plus. Then add the remaining ingredients along with a little salt and pepper.
- Step 2: Simmer for 40 minutes.
- Step 3: Just before serving, add your fresh vegetable garnish, which you will have prepared upfront.
Made using The Detox Booster.